By giving your jewellery proper care and attention, you can ensure your pieces continue to sparkle as brightly as the day they were made. Whether a beloved pair of diamond earrings, a family heirloom, or your cherished engagement ring, we're here to share some valuable insights and tips for jewellery care.
Keeping diamond jewellery looking brilliant requires some simple maintenance:
- Protect your jewellery: Remove rings when playing sport, gardening or doing housework. Be mindful of your jewellery and protect your pieces from sharp blows, sunlight and extreme temperatures.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: remove jewellery when doing housework or swimming as chlorine, bleach and other household cleaning agents can severely discolour and damage the metal and diamonds, as well as loosen stones and settings.
- Remove jewellery before applying soaps, lotions, hairsprays or other cosmetics as their ingredients may damage the surface of the diamond and make your jewellery appear dirty.
- Handle your diamond jewellery sparingly as oil from skin creates a film on diamonds.
Storing Your Diamonds
Crowded jewellery boxes can damage diamonds. Pendants and bracelets tangle easily, and earrings may be lost easily among other pieces. Your precious jewellery may bend or warp rings, earrings, and other delicate items, especially antique and heirloom pieces.
We recommend storing your diamond jewellery separately to prevent damage:
- The original box your jewellery piece came in is perfect for storage.
- Alternatively, wrap each piece in a separate soft, lint-free cloth; this cushions the jewellery and keeps it dust-free.
- To make lint-free cloths, old handkerchiefs, blouses, or scarves can be cut into small pieces. White cloths are best, because if they are exposed to moisture there is no chance of dyes leaking onto the jewellery.
Cleaning your Diamond Jewellery
Over time, dirt, oils, and lotions can dull the sparkle of your diamonds. To restore their brilliance, there are some simple ways to clean your pieces to maintain their brilliant sparkle:
- Soapy water Bath: Prepare a small bowl of warm suds with mild liquid soapy water. Brush the item of jewellery with a small soft brush creating a lather. Place the piece on a wire strainer and rinse with warm water. Pat dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Visit any one of our Mazzucchelli’s stores to have your jewellery personally cleaned with our compliments.
- Connoisseurs Precious Jewellery Cleaner: Available in all Mazzucchelli’s stores, the liquid cleaner can bring out the brilliance of gold, platinum and diamond jewellery.
- Connoisseurs UltraSoft®Gold Jewellery Polishing Cloth: Available in all Mazzucchelli’s stores, the convenient Two-Step Dry-Cleaning System cleans and polishes jewellery to a lustre.
We have all heard a story of someone devastated to find a diamond missing from a beloved piece. Inspect your jewellery from time to time, look out for loose settings or prongs, if you notice any issues, speak to one of our professional jewellers for repair to prevent potential diamond loss.
We recommend having diamond jewellery professionally assessed at least once a year for loose claws, worn mountings and general wear and tear.
Drop into your local Mazzuccelli’s at any time and have your pieces reviewed and cleaned.
Insurance: Consider insuring your valuable diamond jewellery to protect against theft, loss, or damage.
Diamond jewellery is beautiful and elegant to wear. These pieces can also become heirlooms; cherished by the wearer and passed down through generations. By following these simple tips to care for your diamond jewellery, you'll ensure that your precious gemstones continue to shine brilliantly for years to come.
You might also enjoy: